Tuesday, November 16, 2010

10 Years at the Plainfield Public Library!

This month marks my ten year anniversary as the Library Director at the Plainfield Public Library. That ten years have held some of my biggest professional challenges and opportunities. When I interviewed for the job in late summer of 2000, the official population of the library district was tallied at 18,882. Today, it's 66,139! During my tenure, the Library has grown to one of the busiest in our area with over 3/4 of a million items circulated last year. Though the expansion referendum failed, the need continues to grow.

While this Library may be a challenge in terms of funding and space, I am honored to work with all of the individuals who care about this Library and community. The fantastic staff meet the needs of the community to the best of their ability every day. The Board of Trustees set the policies, budgets and goals while being mindful to act as good stewards of the taxpayers' dollars. The Friends of the Library and Library Foundation volunteer their time and energy in support of the good work the Library does. There are too many others who dedicate themselves to serving our community to list here, but I am grateful for each of them.

Thank you, Plainfield, for ten amazing years! I can't wait to see what the next ten will bring.

No comments: